A fine and theoretical point:  Spark is generated in ignition coils when the 
current flow in the primary coil is interrupted/stopped (points/circuit  opens) 
and the magnetic field created by previous current flow in the primary coil 
stops, causing an instant collapse of the primary magnetic field, with lines of 
magnetic force moving through the secondary coil (spark to the plug) and 
inducing a very brief but large current flow and high voltage.  In other words, 
the spark is triggered by an interruption of current flow, not the 
establishment of one.

From: Allen Thomas 
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:51 PM
To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers! 
Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: No spark on 2 cylinders

Can you share the wiring diagram I'll take a look and see if I make sense of 
it. Yes it should be straight forward since you are getting some spark. If you 
had no spark then that can get tricky depending on the various safety 
circuitry. Once the system is getting juice the pulse generator sends signals 
to the CDI which grounds the coils which makes them fire.

Allen Thomas

On Jul 22, 2014 8:00 PM, "EGrider" <[email protected]> wrote:

  Yes, I have a PDF or the official Honda shop manual and there is a wiring 
diagram at the end. It's black and white, though, and wiring diagrams kind of 
give me a headache. I'm just feeling my way here. I guess the pickups, CDI 
boxes, coils, spark plug wires, and spark plugs are the complete system, right? 
If the components are good, then it must be the connections between them? 


  On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:32:42 AM UTC-4, EGrider wrote: 
    After I got Old Yeller cleaned up Sunday, I started in on a craigslist 1985 
V30 I picked up in Virginia a couple weeks back.

    I put a battery in it and all electrics worked, even the horn. I was 
excited that this was going to be a battery and carb clean job. But when I put 
a fifth plug in the #1 cylinder wire and hit the key, no spark! Luckily I have 
2 other running V30s, so I pulled the CDI boxes and plugged them into a running 
bike. Started right up. I pulled the back coil and stuck it in another bike and 
got no spark- aha! But when I put a known good coil off that bike in the new 
one,I still got no spark. About then I decided to pull a wire from one of the 
front cylinders and put a plug in it. I expected it to be dead, but I got spark 
on the front.

    This led me to think I had a bad pickup, or what the manual calls a spark 
generator. I pulled the connector and tested with a VOM per the manual. Both 
front and back pickups had the same in-range resistance, and I got the same 
reading from a running bike.

    So the front (2-4) cylinders get spark, but I'm not getting spark from a 
good CDI, a good coil, and what seems to be a good spark generator on the 1-3.  
Without removing the case cover, maybe I could reverse the pickup wires and see 
if I get spark (albeit at the wrong timing) on the 1-3 cylinders? 

    After that, I’m not sure what I’m left with.  I’m not much at reading 
wiring diagrams—they give me a headache—but all I can think of is testing the 
connectivity of pertinent wires on the harness.  

    Can anyone offer any other clues or comments to get spark on the 1-3 
cylinders?

  -- 
  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
email to [email protected].
  To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
  Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers.
  For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to