David,

That's a stock Hondaline rack.  Don't cut it.  I'm sure someone here would
buy it from you.  They're hard to find and getting harder.  I have one of a
parts bike I'll give to you for the cost of shipping - it's got lots of
rust so you'll have to paint it but if you're going to cut it that would be
great.  Or you can buy the aftermarket one on eBay.  Just search for Fits
91-03 Honda Nighthawk CB750 CB 750 Backrest w/ luggage rack Sissy Bar and
you'll see it.  $165 including shipping and it's built with a removable
backrest.  It will work better then a cut stock one.  I have a cut stock
one and over time its breaking from the pressure on the back.  I have a
trunk on it and ride daily.  I'm sure you can get $165 for a stock rack
here or on eBay.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send pictures.  It's rough.

Sean