I don't personally use org-mode but using the native org format as source
instead of exporting to rst sounds like a better idea. I know we have a
couple of org-specific bugs like syntax highlighting not working perfectly
because of different HTML generation, but those can and should be fixed
while keeping things working "the right way".

Adding an export step in the middle usually makes things more fragile.