Don't worry it's pretty easy.

If you are using the default theme, just run this:

nikola theme -c post_header.tmpl

That will tell you something like this:

Copied template from bla/bla/bla/templates/post_header.tmpl to
templates/post_header.tmpl

Then you edit templates/post_header.tmpl

You will see a part that looks like this:

<%def name="html_post_header()">

In there is the HTML fragment that shows the post metadata. It's a bit
messy but it should be understandable. Add your metadata in there. Dates
are specially tricky since we try to be smart about formatting them, but we
can try to figure something out.