The result of "ask stupid question on the internet to find the answer 10
minutes later"....

The template behavior is exactly as I expected it, however I've messed up
my conf.py file and newly generated pages were in pages subdir. Because I
haven't cleaned the old index was still in the site root and looked like my
template is totally ignored.