Thanks y'all for input. I've updated the draft in the first post with more OSes
/ distros / package managers, and will continue to update it as I come across
more info. There's no point yet in listing every distro for which Nim is _not_
available, but let me know what package managers that contain Nim (even if old
version) I've missed.

**This is just the first step toward making Nim as easy, quick, and convenient
to install and update** **_on any OS / distro_** **as any other programming
language!**

It seems that a latest precompiled Nim package isn't available on many
[popular](http://distrowatch.com/) Linux distros, but what's most important is
that we get the big two Linux package managers (deb and rpm) covered.

I was able to "dpkg -i
[nim_0.16.0-1_amd64.deb](https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/nim/download)"
the Debian package on my Ubuntu 16.10 laptop. It did complain about libssl
version, but I fixed that by installing the Debian
[deb](https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/libssl1.0.2/download). The
Debian package included nimble, nimgrep, and nimsuggest in addition to nim; and
Debian's [nim-doc](https://packages.debian.org/stretch/all/nim-doc/download)
deb also installed OK.

The [RHEL
package](https://www.joyent.com/blog/pkgsrc-2014q4-lts-signed-packages-and-more)
 (which has to be extracted with ar x command before tar xvf) didn't contain
any other bin utilities, bin the nim binary seemed fine.

So the question is - do we want to tell Linux users that it's OK to use
non-distro-specific Nim binaries, and to further test and document the process?
Or should we continue to encourage them to build from source?