> I wonder if that will affect D's popularity...

What does "mainlined" mean?

Ada and Modula-2 have had GCC frontends for decades now, but they're still
basically invisible. One reason may be that they typically require you to
download and/or build a separate compiler. In Modula-2 you have to download an
earlier GCC, then compile it through a process that does not seem to work half
the time. (I felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I made it work on one
machine, then moved to another machine and couldn't replicate it.) For Ada you
basically have to download gnat, which may or may not install an earlier
version of GCC.