@cdome, thanks for the suggestion, but I am working with serial protocols
involving integers of different lengths, so lenientops is not much help. It
works by converting between int and float. @mratsim, thank you for the
explanation. As an experienced user (I've seen your sig many times) can you
shed some light on why the language imposes this restriction? Nim is an
extremely complicated language making it quite difficult to learn. It seems to
be a very poor design choice to overly complicate even this most basic of
operations by imposing operand order. Is there an underlying advantage
somewhere that I am missing? What is wrong with promoting either operand (the
way every other language ever invented does)? This is not intended to be a
rant, I'm just trying to understand the motivation. Thanks again for your
advice.