Why do you intent to use option[Cell] at all?

I have never used option types myself, but I would assume that there is some
overhead involved. Or do you think there is not?

You have the Cell object with x and y fields of type integer. So it should be
possible to define a x, y combination that is a invalid state, maybe x, y both
with value int.high. Whenever your proc returns that invalid state you can
detect it, you can declare your own isNil() or isInvalid() proc for Cell data
type and check for invalid state. But well, option types may be fun, I would
assume that they work with hidden tuples? I should read more about them.