> I don't really know much of how the wrapper operates. Is there a good
> description somewhere?
Open it. Its a bash script which adds lots of
-package-db=PATH-to-nix-store arguments or such

If you are looking at it also pay attention to ghc-pkg list not showing
core packages (which ship with ghc).

There is an alternative way: use GHC_PACKAGE_PATH. Once in the past I
used it - and it didn't suffer from that issue, but I had to patch some
build scripts (such as gtk2hs) by using local package databases.

At some point I gave maintaining it, because the current way worked good
enough - and I don't do that much Haskell right now.

Marc Weber