Maybe I should just remove the wiki until I find time to host current
bootstrapping archives myself. I personally think the community should
provide more feedback to get this back into the repositories..
Eelco Dolstra removed it in the bast due to "lack of documentation"
without even asking for improving it.

If you have a fast connection bootstrap on your own qemu instance and
copy everything up to your server eg using rsync or by creating your own
tar.

I can also create a new archive for you. i686 is no issue. x86_64 will
require longer upload time ( a couple of hours ).

http://mawercer.de/~marc/minimal-install-archive.patch
is the last patch which still may apply which you can use to create the
archive yourself.
cd /etc/nixos/nixos; nix-build -A minimal_install_archive ./release.nix

If others have a better way for bootstrapping they may talk about their
way.

Nice about my archive is that it ships with scripts such as
"run-in-chroot" which you may want to use a couple of times for
rebuilding the system till you get everything right.

Marc Weber