Hi,

I quite don't see why such efforts would be worthwhile (just my personal opinions... and maybe I misunderstand you).

1) Why would you want a snapshot of another distribution's installation in nix store (or anything equivalent)? You would better install into VM (the other distributions or/and NixOS).

2) More standard distros can't work well at once without virtualizing at least the filesystem (due to using hard-coded paths).

3) You can use nix packages on another standard distro easily anyway (not always perfect, mainly because too few people care about it now).

4) Creating a tool that converts among configurations of different distros would cost a huge amount of work (much more than just replicating the same functionality on NixOS, which would be IMHO a better invested effort). Also maintaining such a tool would be a nightmare.

A XEN-based solution might be what you want... but I feel I have only a very vague idea about what you actually want (maybe yours isn't too concrete either).

Vlada