In the Nix manual it says:

##

It is best not to change the Nix store from its default, since doing so
makes it impossible to use pre-built binaries from the standard Nixpkgs
channels — that is, all packages will need to be built from source.

##

I'd like to know why it is impossible. I don't understand why it matters
in the slightest whether the store sits at /nix/store or
somewhereelse/nix/store. Why does it even know the difference? Are there
plans to improve on this? After all, everything would still be in the
same relative location to the store. I'm not even sure if it actually
means that it is in fact impossible with how nix is designed as opposed
to ‘it's not currently implemented’.

In environments where one only has regular user rights resources are
often constrained, be it hard drive space, memory or computational
power. Incurring the penalty of having to compile everything on top of
that merely because the store is not sitting at the top of the file
system is rather sub-optimal so it would be great if there was a solution.

--
Mateusz K.