Thanks, I added --pure to nix-shell, but the result didn't change. The
only difference in the environment variables which are set for nix-build
and nix-shell is that nix-build contains the following:

declare -x NIX_ENFORCE_PURITY="1"
declare -x NIX_INDENT_MAKE="1"
declare -x TZ="UTC"

In nix-build libtoolize misses the following actions:

libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'

and therefore autoreconf fails with

configure.ac:10: error: required file './ltmain.sh' not found
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Is it NIX_ENFORCE_PURITY which is causing that difference? If so what
would you recommend me to do?

Many thanks for your help!
Thomas