Hi all,

I’d like to make a case for backporting Peter’s haskell-ng work to 14.12 once
it’s merged into master. If I understand correctly, then if a haskell package’s
version (and the versions of its dependency closure) stay the same, the
haskell-ng branch will result in what is effectively the same package (though
there may be minor tweaks that result in a changed outpath), and with the
compatibility layer in place the old attribute names will be the same, with the
end result that, modulo binary caches, a NixOS configuration that worked before
will still work. On the other hand, if we don’t backport haskell-ng, then 14.12
users will miss out on the improved functionality (such as deep overriding) and
we will not be able to backport new haskell packages added to master after the
switch.

Peter, is my understanding correct? And am I right in thinking that haskell-ng
won’t require bumping haskell packages any major versions from what is
currently on 14.12?

Peter, and everyone else: Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Shea