On 01/08/2016 11:06 AM, Juho Östman wrote:
> As for me, I think packages should be built from source whenever it is
> possible.

Building from source is always possible. That's what Hydra.nixos.org
does for you. The binaries from there are used iff the build
instructions are exactly the same as what is available already.

> [...] confirming that the dependency is built
> using the public source code.

You can disable using the binary cache, and you can --check individual
builds as well. (Note that the check will often fail just to some
unimportant difference that hasn't been fixed yet, e.g. some timestamps.)

--Vladimir