On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 04:35:51PM +0200, Moritz Ulrich wrote:

> Philip Carlsen <plc...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Consider instead something like thks in nixpkgs config:
> > ardour = {
> >   isPaid = true;
> > }
>
> I like this approach. It's plain and simple. We just need to make sure
> that `nixos-rebuild` and `nix-env` display appropriate messages telling
> users how/where to set this. Possibly with a link to a wiki page or a
> section in the manual.

I don't think such an approach is fair for people that don't have the money,
want to trial the software or test if it works on their machine. In this case
Ardour is packaged by many distros for free.

Is it really Nix's job to enforcing the business models of software, rather than
just packaging it? Surely the application could just have a nag screen (if it
doesn't already.)

Jookia.