> I would also vote for not changing "default" python as it will break
stuff.

If we can't break stuff we might as well not make any changes at all.

There are definitely differences between Python 2 and 3 causing
incompatibilities, but incompatibilities also exist between minor versions,
so I don't think it is a very strong argument.

> but the nix expressions only have the version suffixed attributes to
increase explicitness and improve readability.
> Plus then we will be ready for python 4 😛

That means explicitly changing parameters and arguments each time we want
to upgrade Python (major) version. That's okay with certain packages, but
considering how much Python is used throughout Nixpkgs that's just
unrealistic.

I'm still open to getting rid of the `python` attribute, but I just don't
think it is very realistic. If this is the route we want to take, then its
very unlikely we will be able to switch to 3.5 as the default for 17.03, or
3.6 for 17.09.