William Casarin <j...@jb55.com> schrieb am So., 23. Apr. 2017 um 16:46 Uhr:

> > The fetch phase should be deterministic if we freeze the NPM index (is
> such
> > a thing possible?) and use shrinkwrap.
> > Or is this not the case? In what cases will it fail to be deterministic?
>
> This is effectively what node2nix[1] does, which is the most reliable
> mechanism for deterministic node packages. It looks like this:

This is not what node2nix does. Node2nix completely replaces `npm`'s
dependency resolution, therefore it is very dependent on the implementation
of npm. If instead, we would let npm do the resolution but make it do it
determistically by letting it resolve against the same npm index state we
wouldn't have that problem.

Cheers,
Benno