----- "Drew" <cothar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> concern. I would like to leave systems "usable" (ie not destroy or
> remove
> the hard drive) but clean. Ideally, we're talking about a bootable CD
> that
> has a utility that will format/overwrite/reformat/overwrite drives to
> point where there is a reasonable expectation that data that was on
> the
> drive won't be able to be retrieved. So - favorites, recommendations?
> Input
> on this being a pointless task because data can always be recovered?
> Thanks
> for the input.

First off, formatting a drive rarely does any truly destructive removing
of data. Except for changing filesystems, the meta data is highly likely
to keep living on in the same exact locations, so all you do is remove
the easy lookup tables. So your thought of format/reformat doesn't
accomplish anything of real use.

Drive erasing apps must write patterns to every byte on the drive. They
have to do that because erased files still exist, just aren't linked
anymore. Good drive erase apps have to do this multiple times.

How secure do you really need the drives to become? Hard enough that
whoever your hiding the data from has to spend thousands of dollars to
a disaster recovery shop to get it back, or just enough to keep a slightly
more knowledgeable user from scanning the drive and getting anything
useful?

If you want to keep the kind of person who can do disaster recovery
on a drive that would cost thousands of dollars, you need to have a
wipe app that is going to write to every byte, probably 5-7 times. Now
think about how much time this takes up and how interested you are in
having it on your bench for that long while it does basically nothing
useful.

If you are only interested in making the drive unrecoverable by most
people without spending tons of money, all you have to do is boot
a simple distro and cat or dd /dev/urandom to the main block device
of your drive like /dev/hda or /dev/sda.

A friend of mine mentioned that if you talk nicely to the shred-it
driver, they might let you toss drives in the shredder with the papers
they shred. Physical destruction being pretty decent way of knowing
no one will be able to recover enough useful data.

--
Steven Critchfield cri...@basesys.com