I'm a big fan of the Linksys and Buffalo routers that are compatible with
the open source firmware.  We used these all over our campus (at Watkins
College) for our campus-wide wireless network.  We use the Tomato firmware
(a few less features, but stable and simple to set up) and have our whole,
3-building campus covered with Wifi for the cost of ten $40-50 routers.
The Buffalo routers seem to have more transmission power, but they are
sometimes a bit more expensive.  You can get the Linksys routers on sale and
they are for sale just about everywhere.

Chris