I personally prefer Tomato firmware over DD-WRT, though DD-WRT does let you
do more tweaking.  I have used WDS on both and they work about the same.
 Here is a link to the Tomato FAQ that talks about how to set it up.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#how_do_i_use_wds

<http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#how_do_i_use_wds>We have a campus-wide
wireless network, now, but we don't use WDS any more.  We simply run
ethernet to every WAP and assign the same SSID and password and encryption
to every AP and put them on different channels if they are close enough to
detect each other.  This works far more reliably than WDS.  In a WDS setup,
you have two points that can get messed up and you cut the bandwidth in half
every time you have to hop from one WAP to another WAP.

Chris