Jack wrote:
>    rm -r -f /delete/my/dir/and/contents

William Turner wrote:
 > rm <directory> -R -f

The laptop I was originally having the problem with is back at the
office and I haven't been able to try that on that machine.  But, I just
had the same issue with an old laptop drive.  I tried both of those,
plus the rmdir equivalents, but none of that worked.  I was planning to
wipe/format the drive anyway, so I'll go ahead and do that.

Random thought... would a bad block on the drive cause directories to be
non-deletable?

Another semi-related question...
Why must rmdir have an unnecessarily long option like
"--ignore-fail-on-not-empty"????  It only has a couple of other options
so there are plenty of single letters to choose from.  What's wrong with
"-f" or "-i" etc??  I don't get it.  Or should I just ask the author?  LOL

JMJ