I agree that you are almost always better off with Linux software RAID,
compared to onboard "fakeraid".  Typically, Linux software RAID outperforms
those fakeraid controllers and you have easy software access to the health
of the array and you an initiate rebuilds, change drives and such fairly
easily with software RAID.  The top reason for me, however, is the
portability of Linux software RAID.  If you have a motherboard completely
die, you can move a Linux software RAID array to a completely different
machine, with very different hardware.  You typically cannot do that with
"fakeraid".  This is a very real-world issue that I've run into several
times.

Chris