For the past month or two, I've been getting the following excerpt in the
daily Logwatch emails from two of our servers.

*--------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------

 WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
   hda: task_in_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStat ...:  2 Time(s)
   hda: task_in_intr: status=0x41 { DriveReady Error } ...:  2 Time(s)
   hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStat ...:  2 Time(s)
   hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x41 { DriveReady Error } ...:  2 Time(s)

 ---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------*

Both of these servers are virtual machines.  One is running RHEL 5 (fully up
to date) and the other is CentOS 5 (fully up to date.)  They are running on
ESX 4.1 with their storage provided via NFS from an OpenFiler server (as are
most of our virtual machines.)

We have lots of virtual machines and don't have these error messages with
any of them, except these two.  The thing that seems to be different about
these two VM's is that they are configured to use virtual IDE drives,
instead of virtual SCSI drives.  I have tried running an older kernel,
thinking perhaps a new kernel introduced this issue, but that doesn't seem
to have made a difference.  I've also tried reinstalling vmware-tools, on
the off-chance that it was screwy and need to be rebuilt and reconfigured.

Most of my search results have pointed at hardware issues, but I'm inclined
to ignore that, since everything else is running fine and the common
denominator seems to be the virtual IDE status of these VM's.  The storage
for these two VM's come from two different RAID 1 arrays on the OpenFiler
server and lots of other machines are being served from those RAID arrays
and aren't throwing these errors.

I'm running out of ideas and wondered if anyone else has seen something like
this or might have any ideas how to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks,

Chris