I'm using it on a work laptop, and other than having some differences
getting my soncwall vpn client installed it's been fine.. I'm tying to
force myself to get used to Unity.. It's been difficult for me to
adjust, but otherwise fine.  

-Todd

On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 09:50 -0500, Jim Peterson wrote:

> I have it on my Macbook in a dual-boot. I upgraded the Ubuntu Studio
> 11.10 that was installed on it, and I have yet to have any issues.
> You'll get apport to cry about a couple of things in the upgrade
> process, but it hasn't affected functionality for me in any way that
> I've seen yet.
> 
> -- 
> Jim Peterson, Board Member
> Friends of Kentucky Libraries 
> 
> 
> On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 13:23 -0600, Jack Coats wrote: 
> 
> > It looks like some say Ubuntu 12.04LTS might not be as bad as some of
> > us has feared.
> > Still I wonder.
> > 
> > Has anyone tried the early release yet?  Thoughts?
> > 
> > ><> ... Jack
> > Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23
> > "You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." —
> > Admiral Grace Hopper, USN
> > "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate"
> > - Henry J. Tillman
> > "Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
> > Albert Einstein
> > 
> > 
> > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > From: Tom Metro <[email protected]>
> > Date: Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM
> > Subject: Re: [Discuss] The next Linux desktop: Ubuntu 12.04
> > To: L-blu <[email protected]>
> > 
> > 
> > A more in-depth review.
> >  -Tom
> > 
> > 
> > Is Ubuntu 12.04 a Linux Game Changer?
> > 
> > With improvements in Unity, the upcoming Ubuntu release has much to
> > recommend it.
> > 
> > http://www.datamation.com/open-source/is-ubuntu-12.04-a-linux-game-changer-1.html
> > 
> > ...Unity was a neat idea that needed more time to develop.
> > 
> > With Ubuntu 12.04 just around the corner, I was shocked to discover that
> > Unity now offers a stable and configurable desktop experience.
> > 
> > Power savings
> > 
> > As the kernel stands now in older Linux releases, the power consumption
> > for notebooks is abysmal. ... Thankfully, this may become less of an
> > issue due to the new Linux kernel bundled with Ubuntu 12.04. Considering
> > that all of the great features in the world mean very little when a
> > notebook loses a lot of its battery life quickly, I'd call this perfect
> > timing.
> > ...
> > 
> > Making Unity usable
> > 
> > A major hangup I had with Unity out of the box was the lack of
> > customization that was possible. Recently, though, I've discovered
> > something wonderful called MyUnity. ... By offering this access to the
> > Unity underpinnings, I finally feel like I'm the one running Unity
> > rather than the other way around!
> > 
> > Additionally Unity will now come with the keys to control what shows up
> > in the launcher, as well as the colors used, transparency in various
> > areas of the desktop, enable/disable available apps in the dash, plus so
> > much more.
> > ...
> > 
> > Dual monitor support remains questionable
> > 
> > One area that I disagree with most people is the belief that Unity has
> > finally dealt with dual-monitor issues. While there are reports of
> > success in tackling issues within the global menu, the fact that panel
> > indicators still appear in both monitors is just silly.
> > ...
> > 
> > After weighing out the good with the bad, I think that I will continue
> > to push myself into using Unity a little bit more. Nothing listed above
> > would be problematic enough to prevent me from using it, as the Unity
> > desktop is now faster and more responsive than in the past.
> > 
> > This isn't to say that I'm going to give up on other desktop
> > environments, rather that I'm willing to spend more time adapting to
> > what Unity has to offer.
> > ...
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > Discuss mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://lists.blu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
> > 
> 
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "NLUG" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nlug-talk
> [email protected]
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en

Reply via email to