I have a number of different clients that all require VPN. As most VPNs
tend to isolate the "client" (windows) from the local environment (though
many have the ability to not do this if the VPN admins will allow it).
This posed a huge problem for me working as I often needed to be on the
VPN connection for extended periods, but needed to be able to access local
resources too. I solved this by setting up a Windows VM and installing the
VPN on it. Worked great! I access the VM from the console window alongside
of my local windows. I used VM Server 2.0 for this. This also allowed me
to move the VM to Linux. Worked just fine there too. I don't see why the
same thing would work under VirtualBox (Windows or Linux). I know for
64bit windows under VirtualBox you have to (as I recall) be running on a
64bit host. As to Junos Pulse VPN. Not familiar with it, but I suspect it
is SSL-based? If so, that should be OK too. I have run Citrix, Net6 (now
Citrix too), and Cisco VPN clients under Windows VMs and they have all
worked OK. Since VirtualBox is HVM (Hardware Virtual Machine or "full"
virtualization), since Windows will know the virtual network interface,
the VPN client should just work with it. You may have to also turn on the
Intel Virtualization Technology ("VT") in your BIOS if you have 64bit CPU
and it supports this in order to have a 64bit guest. I can't recall if
VirtualBox requires this or not. VMWare does. Though I know you aren't
planning on using this, the linux-native KVM-QEMU and Xen under Ubuntu are
also viable options, just not as "packaged" up as VirtualBox. You can
Google for a number of how-tos for these linux-native options. Good luck!
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Jim Peterson
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:54 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [nlug] Running Windows in a Virtual Machine
I can't speak to the VPN part, but I run Win7 x64 in VirtualBox on my
Ubuntu 12.10 machine at work. Strictly for Adobe CS stuff, so the host has
16GB RAM and roughly half of that dedicated to the VM. As long as you
install the guest additions everything is just peachy.
Jim Peterson
On 04/20/2013 02:23 AM, Paul Boniol wrote:
I've finally gotten back to the issue of running Windows in a virtual
machine under Linux.
I've got openSUSE 64-bit installed.
1. VM would be a Windows 7 install, I'm guessing 32 or 64 bit would be
okay? (Lean toward 32 bit as I won't be devoting huge amounts of memory
to it.)
2. The security folks want me to run Junos Pulse VPN client, which is
only available for Windows. Has anyone had experience running a VPN in a
virtual machine? Once logged in, can it secure communications from a
Linux program / mount command?
Sorry, I know VM's are routine these days, but I've never had need of one
till now. And at least #2 sounds like a rather specialized case.
Thanks!
Paul Boniol
--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.