I had been having problems for most of a week with my Internet access being
very slow. I finally resolved the issue, and thought I should share it with the
group.

The symptoms are that access becomes very slow, with frequent timeouts, and the
LED above the router's WAN port flickers very rapidly.  This slowness affects
both WiFi and hard-wired connections.

I have a Linksys E1200 router, and there is a worm currently in circulation,
known as the Moon worm, that attacks certain models of Linksys routers,
including this one. It doesn't penetrate the actual home network, but spreads
router-to-router. It gets in via the default setting of having remote
administration enabled, but continues to infect the router even after this
setting is disabled. It even persisted after I flashed the router to use
DD-WRT. What finally got rid of it was forcing the router to flush its cache by
performing what DD-WRT calls a 30-30-30 reset: holding the reset button in for
30 seconds, disconnecting the power for 30 seconds while continuing to hold in
the reset button, reconnecting the power, and continuing to hold down the reset
buttons for another 30 seconds.

--
John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive