Ken Hornstein wrote in
 <20210512224215.9969ccd...@pb-smtp1.pobox.com>:
 |>nmh could adapt or build upon the src/mx/mailcap.c of my MUA.  It
 |>is pretty much standing on its own feet, has matured (there were
 |>a few hmm nits), and offers really nice extensions like
 |>x-mailx-test-once, x-mailx-ignore etc.
 |
 |Thank you for that offer.  And forgive me if this is a stupid question,
 |but ... which MUA is that? :-)

Oh, no problem ;)  This is a mailx clone yet called s-nail.  The
code in question is at [1].  If you are interested in mailcap,
what really may be of interest, is reading our manual, for example
at [2] (there with links), i tried to collect what could be found
"all" around (the same is true for .netrc which follows in the
next section).

  [1]
https://git.sdaoden.eu/browse?p=s-nail.git;a=blob;f=src/mx/mailcap.c;hb=refs/heads/next
  [2] https://www.sdaoden.eu/code-nail.html#37

P.S.: the formatting of [2] is a bit unfortunate, it is plain
output of groff's html driver which often places indendation of
list items wrong.

--steffen