Hello.

Philipp wrote in
 <93c190b84a23e620d07b9504f619b1f2.phil...@bureaucracy.de>:
 |[2023-08-24 21:07] Philipp Takacs <phil...@bureaucracy.de>
 |> [2023-08-23 14:29] Philipp <philipp+...@bureaucracy.de>
 |>> [2023-08-20 22:14] David Levine <levin...@acm.org>
 |I have tested this and fixed some bugs. A commit with a test is attached.

I have not looked at your code (for real), but .. i have a test
for the MUA i maintain like

  i=$(awk 'BEGIN{for(i=0; i<92; ++i) printf "0123456789_"}')

and then i use "$i" as a subject.
The problem with RFC 5322 is that artificial spaces may have to be
introduced to break a line without whitespace.  (That is, you have
to break somewhere, and have to start the next line with
a whitespace, but that is included then, modifying the original
data.)

--steffen