Mark, just wondering: Why does it make a difference whether NONMEM runs
into an error condition from PRED with ODE's versus any other method of
computing the prediction F? There are error messages and error returns
from other ADVAN routines. Also, a user $PRED has the option of using
the EXIT statement if the values of THETA/ETA are such that it cannot
compute the prediction. NONMEM does the same thing in all cases: back
away from the problematic THETA/ETA because of the "spike", and search
in a different direction for a better THETA/ETA.

BTW, if PREDPP cannot return F, then it certainly cannot return
the first and second eta derivatives of F, G and H.
Sometimes a given error condition is raised in PREDPP not because F
cannot be computed, but during the computation of the eta derivatives.
There is no distinction made to NONMEM as to which was the problem.
With the ODE's, for example, an augmented state vector (A and dA/deta
and if appropriate d2A/detadeta) is integrated all together.
(With ADVAN5 and 7, the ADVAN does know if the trouble was with a given
eta and the text of the message itself indicates this, though nothing
is said to NONMEM about it.)