Leonid,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

I think there are two things to keep separate:

1. Imagine a drug response can be described by a bi-modal distribution when one
examines a sample of subjects who are all children. A mixture model can be used
to identify the parameters of this mixed distribution. One can then categorize
people as being more likely to be in distribution ('responders') than in the
other distribution ('non-responders').

Supposing that we now observe that in a different sample of older subjects that
the mixing probability is different but the two distributions have similar
parameters. We would therefore conclude that the mixing probability changes
with age.

The underlying basis for the distinction between responder and non-responder
may be due to the expression of a gene. The expression of some genes is well
known to vary during human development. Imagine that this gene is either turned
on ('responder') or is turned off ('non-responder'). This would be a biological
explanation of the age dependence of the mixing parameter. If the genotype is
unknown then we would need to use a mixture model to try to decide which
genotype is most likely in an individual. But because the probability of
expression of the gene is also unknown but varies with age then a mixture model
with age as a covariate seems reasonable. If we observed the same subjects as
children and later as adults then we should be able to describe the age related
shift in the probability of being a 'responder' or a 'non-responder'.

It is this kind of situation that I tried to describe using the NM-TRAN code.

2. NONMEM is a particular implementation of a method for describing and
estimating the parameters of mixture model. It seems that NONMEM may only have
a rather simple view of mixtures i.e. an individual always belongs to the same
distribution and this cannot change.

I am not sure yet if it is true that NONMEM assumes a fixed (life long) within
subject assignment to a distribution but I dont see any a priori reason why an
individual should not shift from one distribution to another (as explained in
the example above).

Nick