>Nick Holford wrote:

>Body weight is always important (in adults and children) even if the
>data set you are studying is inadequate to reject a null hypothesis
>because of unsuitable design.

The truth of this statement depends on what you mean by "important".
Dose is important because, for the majority of drugs, doubling dose
doubles plasma exposure, and this can lead to changes in side-effects
and/or efficacy.  The effect of dose is fundamental to PK for 3 reasons:
        1) It's magnitude - dose usually has a big effect on PK.
        2) Dose is partially controlled by the prescriber
        3) AUC is proportional to dose for the majority of drugs, with
an intercept of zero.

Comparing weight to dose seems to be stretching the point just a little.
I would be happy to accept the statement:

"Weight always has some effect on pharmacokinetics, though it may be so
small as to be practically irrelevant"

But that is a long way from:

"Weight is always important, in that it should alter dose selection"

Best regards, James

James G Wright PhD
Scientist
Wright Dose Ltd