Mark,

There are not many choices of compiler. There are some 'free' compilers (g77, gfortran) and some that you must pay for (the only one I know of is Intel but there may be others). The Intel compiler is the descendent of a family starting with Microsoft which begat Digital which begat HP/Compaq which begat Intel. The versions before Intel are obsolete and cannot be licensed any more.

In my experience the Intel compiler is faster than g77 so I choose to pay for the speed. There are some anecdotal reports that the speed improvement of NONMEM VI compared with NONMEM V can be observed with g77 but not Intel compilers.

Nick

Mark Gutierrez wrote:

Hello,

We have recently purchased a NONMEM license and we are involved in the installation. But one doubt has come up.

_Which fortran compiler version is the best option?_

I know that depending on the version, the results of a modelling exercise could change and also the processing time. I will install NONMEM in a HP Pentium 4 computer, with Windows XP

I have reviewed recent literature, and for most of the cases Digital Visual Fortran is used. I would add that only 10% of the manuscripts include information about the compiler.

And maybe a silly question. Is there any difference between Compaq Visual Fortran and Digital Visual Fortran?

Let me know your experience, and the reasons to base your selection.

Thank you in advance,

Mark

--
Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand