Joachim, nmusers:

First of all, I need to correct a typo in the LNCL equation... Thanks to Nicolas Simon for reminding me that I missed the LOG on (WT/70). Here's the corrected code:

Instead of:
1).  CL = THETA(1)*(WT/70)**THETA(2)*EXP(ETA(1))

Parameterize as:
2). LNCL= THETA(1)+THETA(2)*LOG(WT/70)+ETA(1)
      CL=EXP(LNCL)

The problem with Model 1 above occurs when you simulate with an additional level in the random effects hierarchy at the inter-trial or inter-replicate level, representing the parameter uncertainty (e.g. imprecision), AND when you obtain that parameter uncertainty from NONMEM's variance-covariance matrix of the estimates, which is Multi- Variate Normal. Given large enough parameter uncertainty (imprecision) it is possible to draw negative random variates for THETA from the MVN distribution. Model 2 avoids this problem. This is not a concern with Model 1 when parameter uncertainty is ignored, or when the uncertainty is derived from other sources, such as bootstrap or posterior Bayesian parameter distributions.

I hope that this explanation gets you back on the boat :)

Marc