Mats,

Thanks for pointing out that R and 1-R are equivalent when R is a uniform 0-1 random deviate.

There is an NM-TRAN example using 1-R in this paper:

Frame B, Miller R, Lalonde RL. Evaluation of Mixture Modeling with Count Data using NONMEM. Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics. 2003;30(3):167-83.

I have to admit to having cut and pasted this example and used it to show others how to simulate count data so it may have propogated that way too.

Do you know of a clear explanation of why this simple algorithm produces Poisson distribution samples?

Nick

Mats Karlsson wrote:

Dear both,

You have both simulated count data using the code below (or very similar). My question is why do you use LOG(1-R) rather than the simpler LOG(R)? If you’ve done it because you inherited the code, where did you get the code.

*IF (ICALL.EQ.4) THEN*

* T=0*

* N=0*

* DO WHILE (T.LT.1)*

* CALL RANDOM (2,R)*

* T=T-LOG(1-R)/LAMB*

* IF (T.LT.1) N=N+1*

* END DO*

* DV=N*

*ENDIF*

Best regards,

Mats

Mats Karlsson, PhD

Professor of Pharmacometrics

Dept of Pharmaceutical Biosciences

Uppsala University

Box 591

751 24 Uppsala Sweden

phone: +46 18 4714105

fax: +46 18 471 4003

--
Nick Holford, Professor Clinical Pharmacology
Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology