Hello all:
Sorry for my late response, but I had to browse through the source code
and verify a few things.

1) Based on my tests, NONMEM correctly assess epsilon shrinkage, even in
cases of multiple epsilons.  I welcome looking at any problem a user may
have where this appears not to be the case.

2) The description in the nm720.pdf manual is intended as an approximate
description, although it is an exact representation for simple weighted
residual problems.

3) Leonid's e-mail from me regarding how NONMEM actually evaluates IWRES
for all cases, and how it parses each IWRES to a given epsilon for its
shrinkage calculation, provides the most systematic solution of epsilon
shrinkage, even for multiple epsilons, and even for mixed
heteroscedastic and homoscedastic residual variances.  This embellished
description I shall add to the NONMEM_techinical_guide.pdf.

4) Unfortunately, there is no internal variable that holds the IWRES as
calculated by NONMEM. A future release version of NONMEM will supply
this extra variable. The manner in which NONMEM evaluates the IWRES is
entirely consistent with the way users typically evaluate IWRES,
whenever there are no L2 correlations in the model.

5) If there is L2 data, then the epsilon shrinkage is calculated by
NONMEM a little more complicatedly.  In this case, the residual
information of two or more data points will be interconnected according
to the matrix version of (y-df)'[(H'SIGMAH) inverse ](y-df) among the
correlated data points in question.  This will be more fully described
when I add to the technical guide.

Robert J. Bauer, Ph.D.
Vice President, Pharmacometrics
ICON Development Solutions