Dear Paolo,

As Bob explained, ZSPOW uses the  TOL defined by the user in the
$SUBROUTINES record to determine precision.  ADVAN9 and ADVAN13 also use
a separate absolute tolerance ATOL, which is by default set to 12, but
you can modify it with $EST … ATOL= , and see if it affects the
precision of the SS evaluation.
You could also try using  ADVAN6/SS6.

I can't understand why the SS option is taking so long with
ADVAN13/SS13.  The table of results you report do not correspond to the
way SS is computed in PREDPP, and I can't understand where you got the
numbers in the table.

You say "the amount in the absorption compartment AA1 is literally
numerical noise after II hours". But PREDPP never reports this amount,
because SS amounts are reported *after* a dose has been administered.

The way SS with multiple dosing is computed is described in the May 2015
version of Guide VI PREDPP.  This is supplied with the latest alpha
versions of NONMEM7.4.  See Chapter V. Event Records, Section F.4
Implementation of Steady State.  There are three calls to ADVAN with
TIME=0 to obtain the initial estimate.  After that, the root finder
ZSPOW makes as many calls as it needs, but they are not necessarily
sequential in TIME.

Can you please send me your control stream and a fragment of the data so
I can figure out what is going on?

Alison

PS. In case you don't have the May 2015 version of guide VI PREDPP, here
    is an extract:
(The guide still needs to be updated for ADVAN13, but the same
process is used.)

=========================
When the model is defined by differential equations (SS6, SS8, SS9),
PREDPP cannot use an ana- lytic solution, even if one happens to exist.
Instead, the solutions are found by a numerical technique using ZSPOW, a
root-finding subroutine from IMSL.
With multiple dosing, ZSPOW searches for a vector of compartment amounts
and their eta deriva- tives such that the initial and final (end of
dosing interval) vector is the same. ADVAN6, ADVAN8, and ADVAN9 perform
a numerical integration of the differential equations (and in the case
of ADVAN9, algebraic equations). The ADVAN routine is used to advance
(integrate) the state vector A from time 0 to time II with the
appropriate dose pattern. Let AII represent the state vector after
advance to time II with the appropriate dose. A search is made for Ass
such that Ass - AII = 0
If SS=3, the state vector A contains user-supplied initial estimates.
Otherwise, the SS routines sets A=0 and makes three calls to ADVAN. Each
call advances the state vector from t=0 to t=II with the appropriate
dosing pattern. The result is the initial estimate.
Once the SS solution is found, the SS routine adds the final bolus dose
to the state vector, or starts the final infusion.

--
Alison Boeckmann
alisonboeckm...@fastmail.fm