Hi Nyein,

For drug concentrations the additive error model assumes that the background
noise is random with mean zero when the drug concentration is truly zero. In
the real world there is always background noise for measurements which means
that real measurements can appear to be a negative concentration even though
the true concentration is zero. Simulations that simulate negative
concentrations are therefore more realistic than those that ignore reality and
are reported as censored measurement values.

The honest thing to do is to report measurements as they are. The dishonest
thing is to report real measurements as below some arbitrary limit of
quantification. There are numerous papers which describe the bias arising from
dishonest reporting of real measurements and work arounds if you have to deal
with this kind of scientific fraud e.g.

Beal SL. Ways to fit a PK model with some data below the quantification limit.
Journal of Pharmacokinetics & Pharmacodynamics. 2001;28(5):481-504.
Duval V, Karlsson MO. Impact of omission or replacement of data below the limit
of quantification on parameter estimates in a two-compartment model. Pharm Res.
2002;19(12):1835-40.
Ahn JE, Karlsson MO, Dunne A, Ludden TM. Likelihood based approaches to
handling data below the quantification limit using NONMEM VI. J Pharmacokinet
Pharmacodyn. 2008;35(4):401-21.
Byon W, Fletcher CV, Brundage RC. Impact of censoring data below an arbitrary
quantification limit on structural model misspecification. J Pharmacokinet
Pharmacodyn. 2008;35(1):101-16.
Senn S, Holford N, Hockey H. The ghosts of departed quantities: approaches to
dealing with observations below the limit of quantitation. Stat Med.
2012;31(30):4280-95.
Keizer RJ, Jansen RS, Rosing H, Thijssen B, Beijnen JH, Schellens JHM, et al.
Incorporation of concentration data below the limit of quantification in
population pharmacokinetic analyses. Pharmacology research & perspectives.
2015;3(2):10.1002/prp2.131

Best wishes,
Nick

--
Nick Holford, Professor Clinical Pharmacology
Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology, Bldg 503 Room 302A