Hi Tingjie,

I agree with Leonid's first remark. The natural way to account for the random
effect associated with each dosing occasion is to use the dosing occasion as
the covariate and implement the covariate effect using between occasion
variability. You only need to have enough occasions to cover the number of
doses which have an observation in the subsequent interval for the subject who
had the most such occasions. I have used BOV for twice daily dosing over
several months but only needed 40 occasions to describe all the pa-tients in a
large study.

You should also be thinking of BOV on bioavailability as well as lag time.

Also consider  testing whether BSV for these absorption parameters is greater
than zero once you have included BOV. From a mechanistic viewpoint dose to dose
variation in absorption may be primarily due to between occasion rather than
between subject differences.

Best wishes,

Nick

--
Nick Holford, Professor Clinical Pharmacology
Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology, Bldg 503 Room 302A