The Ravaging Respiratory Infection: Fighting Influenza Using Mechanistic Models
Amber M. Smith, PhD
Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Wednesday March 17, 2021, 11:00 am to 12:00 pm EDT
Register for free at https://www.rosaandco.com/webinars
Abstract:
Respiratory viruses, including influenza virus, cause a significant number of
infections each year and are traditionally difficult to treat. This is in part
due to the short window where antivirals are efficacious. But, if we can
effectively forecast the tit-for-tat between the pathogen and the host, we may
be able to identify new preventative and therapeutic regimens that are more
effective.
In this webinar, I will show how we can use an integrative model-experiment
exchange to establish the dynamical connections between virus spread in the
lung, control by host immune responses, lung damage inflicted throughout the
infection, and how these relate to disease severity.
I will describe the mathematical models and analyses and how experiments can be
designed to validate the model predictions and gain confidence in our ability
to predict disease progression,  potential complications, and therapeutic
options and efficacy.