March Webinar:  From data driven to theoretical: improving preclinical decision
making with modeling

Amy Moody, PhD
Senior Principal Scientist, Pfizer, Cambridge, MA

March 13, 2024 12:00-1:00 PM EST
Register at https://rosaandco.com/webinars

At Pfizer, modeling in the preclinical space is used in numerous ways to place
programs in the appropriate quantitative context and supports key decision
making on the path to clinical development. In this presentation, we will give
two examples where modeling was at the center of decisions to progress or
terminate early programs.

Tafamidis is a small molecule TTR stabilizer and was the first treatment
approved for amyloid cardiomyopathy (ATTR-CM). While tafamidis delays disease
progression and provides substantial clinical benefit, it does not completely
arrest disease progression and Pfizer was interested in whether a more potent
molecule could provide additional clinical benefit. We will describe analysis
of clinical and preclinical data that concluded tafamidis captures greater than
90% of the horsepower of this mechanism which led to the decision to terminate
a follow-on program.

Three mechanisms all aim to treat sickle cell disease by preventing
polymerization of mutated hemoglobin (HbS). We will describe a model that was
developed to predict the required level of target modulation by each mechanism
alone and in combination. This model helped identify programs with the highest
likelihood of success as well as faster paths to the clinic through combination
strategies.

These examples show how very different approaches (patient data driven vs.
theoretical model) can be applied to preclinical programs to assess confidence
in the target, set clear goals for program progression, and chart more
efficient paths towards clinical success.