------- Forwarded Message

From: David Farber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "ip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [IP] re-distribution of op-ed on Net Neutrality   -- a reaction and
 a reply from one of the authors
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 15:23:10 -0400

From: John S. Quarterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: David Farber
Cc: John S. Quarterman
Subject: Re: re-distribution of op-ed on Net Neutrality -- it
         is still appropriate

Dave, for IP:

I admire Dave Farber; he's been instrumental in many good things for
computing and the Internet.

But as far as I know, he's not a lawyer.

( INDEED  I AM NOT A LAWYER AND SO I ASKED PROF. YOO, ON THE FACULTY
OF PENN LAW AND
ONE OF THE AUTHORS OF THE EDITORIAL, TO REPLY TO THIS NOT -- IN
PARTICULAR PROF. CHERRY'S COMMENTS.  DAVE FARBER)

His co-author and both of his contributors are law professors,
so I'd be interested in hearing them address Prof. Barbara Cherry's
reservations about antitrust and net neutrality.  She used to work
for the FCC and has examined the history of common, statutory, and
administrative law in the U.S., as well as the way Internet provision
has been wrenched out of one legal regime into another by the FCC,
and how the FCC has also stripped broadband of its common carriage
status.

http://riskman.typepad.com/peerflow/2007/10/net-neutrality-.html

While antitrust might go through the FTC rather than the FCC, the
FTC currently seems as tightly bound to the "market failure" doctrine
as the FCC, so I'm not sure that's an improvement, especially
considering
that neither FTC nor FCC has done anything to stop the recent spate of
mergers of communications companies that has exacerbated the problem.

How do those who say that we shouldn't regulate because we don't know
what will happen and antitrust will catch problems if they occur, take
into account that antitrust doesn't automatically apply to or address
problems in the new legal regime into which broadband has been thrust?

- -jsq

Begin forwarded message: