> The ISP is not your enemy.  It is not your friend, either, but this
> assumption that just about any active traffic management is somehow
> bad, and that application-aware traffic management is always bad,
> seems a significant limitation.

Nick,

There is a fundamental, potentially very serious anti-competitive
conflict between these large ISPs' roles as content providers, vs.
their role as gateways to the external Internet (where services that
directly compete with the ISPs' content provision aspects may be
accessed).

Unless concerns over this conflict can somehow be resolved, it is
completely understandable that many observers would view the
bandwidth allocation, tiering, cap, and other related decisions being
made by ISPs with a considerable amount of suspicion.

It doesn't help the situation that we've seen active lying by Comcast,
intrusion by ISPs into customer data streams to manipulate and alter
content, and experiments with wiretapping of actual user data without
affirmative opt-in permission.

There is every indication that many ISPs -- no longer willing to act
"merely" as communication conduits -- are pushing the envelope as
far as they can until suffering unacceptable amounts of blowback.

The ISP industry is reaping the distrust that they themselves have
been sowing.  The ball is really in their court if they wish to
achieve high levels of trust among their subscribers.  In the
meantime, our goal here is to help understand exactly what they are
actually doing.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator