Facebook's flawed study proclaims "It's not our fault!"

"Facebook: It's not our fault."

http://socialmediacollective.org/2015/05/07/the-facebook-its-not-our-fault-study/

     Alarm bells are ringing for me. The tobacco industry might once have
     funded a study that says that smoking is less dangerous than coal
     mining, but here we have a study about coal miners smoking. Probably
     while they are in the coal mine. What I mean to say is that there is
     no scenario in which "user choices" vs. "the algorithm" can be traded
     off, because they happen together (Fig. 3 [top]). Users select from
     what the algorithm already filtered for them. It is a sequence.**** I
     think the proper statement about these two things is that they're both
     bad -- they both increase polarization and selectivity. As I said
     above, the algorithm appears to modestly increase the selectivity of
     users.  The only reason I can think of that the study is framed this
     way is as a kind of alibi. Facebook is saying: It's not our fault! You
     do it too!

 - - -

Do we look *that* stupid, Facebook?

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein ([email protected]): http://www.vortex.com/lauren 
Founder:
 - Network Neutrality Squad: http://www.nnsquad.org 
 - PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com/privacy-info
Co-Founder: People For Internet Responsibility: http://www.pfir.org/pfir-info
Member: ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein 
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800 / Skype: vortex.com
_______________________________________________
nnsquad mailing list
http://lists.nnsquad.org/mailman/listinfo/nnsquad

Reply via email to