Donald Trump will nominate retired Marine Gen. James Mattis as his secretary of defense, the President-elect announced in Cincinnati at the beginning of his post-election tour.

"We are going to appoint 'Mad Dog' Mattis as our secretary of defense. But we're not announcing it until Monday, so don't tell anybody," Trump said at his rally. Later he added, "They say he's the closest thing to Gen. George Patton that we have, and it's about time."

Watch Trump speak now on CNN.