On Feb 24, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Lawton wrote:

> Thanks. Let me take it another step.
>
> If I have a grocery transaction ($20) and get $100 cash back. I then
> spend that $100 cash on Dining, Auto, and Home Repair in varying
> increments.  How do I account for this so that the cash account is
> depleted and the spending is allocated correctly?

Lawton,

Follow these steps:

  1. Create a transaction for $120 assigned to the Grocery bucket
  2. Click Create Split and change the amount on the Grocery line to $20
  3. On the new split line, click the C checkbox in the first column

This will create a split transaction that will show up as $120 when
you reconcile and split as $20 and $100 when you are looking in the
Grocery or Transfers buckets. Your bank register is correct.

Now use these steps to spend your cash:

  1. Click on the cash account (you'll see your $100 transfer into it)
  2. Add a new transaction for each amount of cash you spend until
it's depleted

Basically you don't have to reconcile your cash account so you can
simply keep adding transactions to it each time you spend pocket cash.
The transfer from your checking account is built into the split so
it's not affecting your register either.

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor
ke...@nothirst.com
No Thirst Software LLC