On Apr 14, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Blue Rover wrote:

> I'm still in my first month of using Moneywell and I have just come
> across an issue I need help with.  I've had a look about and can't
> seem to find anyone else having.
>
> Set up my spending plan at the beginning of the month based on the
> money in my checking account and this was duly allocated to Income.
> Very early in the month some of this money was moved into a Savings
> account via the Savings bucket.  However this does not reflect 'usual'
> money flow for me.
>
> I get paid in the middle of the month but I don't use this money til
> the beginning of the following month. Immediately I transfer this to
> the Savings accounts and then transfer back what I need at the
> beginning of the next month based on what I allow myself to live on.
> The rest remains in the savings account.
>
> When I set up the initial deposit of my salary it appears in the
> Salary bucket.  Of course I don't want it sitting it here as it shows
> a distorted view of available income to allocate.  So as described I
> transfer to the Savings account using the savings bucket.  My Savings
> bucket immediately falls over as the amount is equal to my pay check.
> I cannot allocate this amount to my Savings bucket because that amount
> never existed in my Salary bucket at the beginning of the month.  I
> don't want any of my salary appearing as allocatable income til the
> beginning of the next month.
>
> Given my example how best is it to use the buckets?  I could just do
> away with the savings bucket but then I'll have a monthly unallocated
> transaction and I guess that bucket is there for a reason.

Hi Ed,

There are several ways you could handle this. Here's one scenario:

  1. Drag your Salary bucket to your Savings bucket and create a money
flow for the balance
  2. Drag your checking account to your savings account and create a
transfer for that same amount assigning the outgoing transaction to
the Savings bucket
  3. When you want to use that money again reverse the process by
transferring the money back to checking and assigning the incoming
transaction to the Savings bucket
  4. Drag the Savings bucket to the Salary bucket and use it to
allocate that income

You can also choose to move the money back and forth without affecting
your buckets:

  1. Allocate the Salary to the proper expense buckets for spending
next month
  2. Drag your checking account to saving account and create a
transfer but don't assign either side of the transfer
  3. When you want to use that money reverse the transfer and move the
money back into your checking account

The second scenario will only work if you are good about tracking your
money movements between accounts and the allocation to expense buckets
can happen that early. If you need to defer the allocation then try
the first scenario.

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor
ke...@nothirst.com