On Jun 2, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Glenn B. wrote:

> Let's say that I deposited a check(in MoneyWell) and had it allocate
> to 10 different buckets. That check bounces a week later(once I get it
> to the bank). Now I have money in buckets(spendable) that really isn't
> there. The money has vanished. What should I do to remove the
> allocated fund so I don't spend money that isn't there?

What I would do:

1. Manually delete the deposit.  This will result in my Salary bucket
declining of course.

2. If there's still money in my Salary bucket after the deposit is
removed, STOP, I'm done.

3. If the Salary bucket is negative instead, then any expense bucket
that has any money in it can be used to cover the decline in the
Salary bucket to bring it back to zero.

Of course this may make some of my expense buckets too low to cover
some expenses.  I may have to shuffle some money to cover expenses
coming due the soonest.

> Or, I deposit in MoneyWell and accidentally fund the wrong buckets and
> need a "re-do" a day later...

Just move money from any bucket to any other bucket do get the amounts
the way you want.  This isn't any different than if you used real
envelopes and cash, take money from any envelope and put it in another.

> My thought is when I remove a deposit, it should "un-unallocate" the
> buckets it filled.

Too hard.  What if I did an auto allocation, then later changed my
mind and moved money around?  Maybe the expense was paid before I
remove the deposit.  The only way to do this is manually by me looking
at my expenses and knowing which expenses are coming due, and making
sure I've manually funded the buckets.

Terry Norton

I started off with nothing...I still have most of it left.