I haven't run this locally to test, but you appear to be binding only to
the localhost
address:
https://github.com/tjfontaine/node-dns/blob/master/examples/forwarder.js#L10

This should exhibit the symptoms you mention and allow it to work on
localhost and not on remote addresses. Change this from '127.0.0.1' to
'0.0.0.0' to bind on all addresses and it should be available externally as
well.

Mikkel

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/